Thursday, January 3, 2008

Oh the Resolutions

I too must offer up my take on the whole New Years Resolution. I have never had resolutions and this year for some reason the idea seemed intriguing. I wondered why this year of all years, and then I realized. This is the first year that my life's goals have not already been set before me. In years past my life goals have been things like get good grades, pass chemistry, graduate college, get a job, do well at job, etc. This is the first year I have felt like I can make some real goals without sacrificing my responsibilities!



Mike and I took a little vacation after Christmas to Austin and really got to reconnect. The holidays were so busy for us that we were need of some down time to recharge. It also gave us time to think intentionally about what we want to accomplish this year. I loved talking and dreaming about our goals for this year.



I struggle a lot with security and trust meaning for me to feel confident I have to feel like I am secure relationally, financially, etc. And my thoughts generally tend to lead me in to wondering and speculating when the bottom is going to be pulled out from under me. I am constantly thinking about what I will do if catastrophe were to strike my life. All that to say, its sometimes hard for me to dream about the future when I am constantly just hoping everything will stay the same. I share this to help explain why I have picked some of the resolutions. Lately the Lord has been giving me more and more confidence to dream big dreams.

So here they are in no particular order:
+Lead someone to Christ (I have been praying about my missionary goals and I know I am going out on a limb with this one, but I want to pray for big things!)
+ Take a French refresher course. (Mike is doing this with me so it will be fun! I love how he tries to pronounce things with a French accent...so cute)
+ Plant a vegetable garden ( I have always wanted a green thumb, but been to scared and overwhelmed to try it.)
+ Pray and seek the Lord more regarding our future (Mike and I have such big dreams that we want to see come true, but it all starts with prayer!)
+ Keep in touch with out of town friends (I realized over the holidays there are several out of town friends that I love so much, but only really see or talk to over the holidays. I would like to remedy that!)
+Continue reading classic books ( Steph got me started last year and I have loved it)
+Learn to sew (I got an awesome new sewing machine for Christmas so I am ready to learn...Morgan...Erin please help!!)

Ok there they are for all to see! I have such high hopes for 2008!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Good work, you! I'd love to help you sew!!

Steph said...

Great post! You and I have such similar goals! It will be so fun to see how God will change us and grow us this year.

When did you go to Austin?...I thought you were going to Virginia or somewhere? Glad you guys had fun chatting and dreaming!

Morgan said...

sewing is so fun! i am still learning too, but i will be glad to teach you what i know!! :)

The Artful Dodger said...

Hi Cath:

I've reread your blog entry several times before responding. It's the part about insecurity and feeling that you are about to have the rug pulled out from under you that I want to talk about.

You get it from me, sweatheart. The feeling that no matter how good everything is now, you may end up selling pencils on the street.

It's a tough issue and I've known since you were a little girl that you've had it. I remember your questions at age five or six. "What will I do when I grow up? Will I get married?" Typical enough questions but yours always had an edge to them. What you were really asking was: when will it all fall apart.

I can answer now better than I could then. It won't; at least not in the way you fear most. Life doesn't always deal a fair hand but you are strong enough and imaginative enough to handle virtually anything that comes along.

When you were kids, Peter was the dreamer, Randall was busy being the oldest, being in charge. You were coping and plodding. Not anymore. You've incorporated both the dreamer and the doer into who you are.

It will get easier. It will always be your default issue, especially when you are stressed. But over time it will get easier. Already is, I think.

As for the sewing, I tried to teach you when you were little. It's hard for a right handed person to teach a little lefty!

You plant vegetables here in Houston; I'll plant in Virginia.

Love, Mom