Saturday, January 12, 2008

Christ Church Brenham

This post has been in my head for about two months now and it is time to let out! I am trying to post more on the different ways in which I experience God to help me get out of my box and remind myself that God is everywhere. This idea came to me when we visited Christ Church in Brenham.

Picture, if you will, a beautiful, cozy chapel. The lights are dimmed and there is still a little natural light coming in through the windows as the sun begins to set. The pews are dotted with a handful of people talking together. There are a few small children walking up and down the center isle trying to avoid going back to the childcare room. The atmosphere is light and relaxed, yet genuine. People seem so excited to greet one another and hear about each other's day. No one is in a hurry to start the service...in fact we start about 15 minutes late. The Pastor gives everyone a chance to get settled, and then we begin.


We sing several songs together. Some of us just listening to the words, some with eyes closed and hands raised, and still others kneeling in prayer. It is a beautiful sight. Everyone is communing with God in their own way. After the songs, the Pastor (Justin) sits on a stool in the front and opens the Bible to the gospel of John. The congregation has been studying John for a few weeks now, so we begin in the middle of the book. This is when we start to recognize that there is something different about this place.


I was ready for a 3 point sermon, waiting for the intro story that gets everyone laughing. Half way through the sermon I was still wondering when the self-help portion of the sermon would begin, but it never did. None of the things I have been trained to expect in sermons came. We simply read the Bible together and let its words affect us. We even took a moment to share our individual reactions to what was being read. It was a beautiful time, and the most engaged I have felt in a Church service in a long time.


It was so refreshing to see Jesus' words in Matthew 18 come to life; "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them." The presence of the Lord is so real, so palpable in these simple settings.



God is moving in Christ Church Brenham.



3 comments:

Steph said...

Wow Cat, thanks so much for this post! Such an encouragement! I do love our little church and it has been such a fruitful time for me personally, but it is easy to get distracted by the small numbers and all the things that come with starting a new church. Thanks so much for sharing. I am so delighted that you were blessed by your time at Christ Church.

Bri Westbury said...

T'was the night before the marathon and not a creature was stirring-not even a mouse (or Callie!) =)! Can't wait to see you Monday and hear how the big run went! You will have well deserved your pedicure!

Justin Hyde said...

very encouraging post. thanks so much. let's all be praying hard whether or not God really wants you to be a methodist... leave the city and join us in the promise land! looking forward to worshipping with you both again soon. much love, friends.