Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I think I have the itch...


I didn't think it would happen to me...at least not so soon. Tell me if these symptoms seem familiar.


+ Constant cooing over other peoples babies

+ Overwhelming urge to hold any toddler in sight

+ Sudden impulse to shop for baby clothes

+ Spending countless hours on the Internet looking for the perfect nursery

Diagnosis please? I have always told people I want to wait for a long time to have kids. Since I got married I have never felt in any hurry to procreate. We love to travel and go out with friends and I have it in my head that all that will stop when we have kids. My husband has always been very supportive of this, but I know if I told him today that I wanted to have kids he would be so excited. I have kind of felt like the odd ball because so many of my friends this year are pregnant and having babies. I wondered is there something I am just not seeing?

Mother's Day came around this year and I really felt like God was telling me that I really do want a baby, and that I will be forever changed but in a wonderful way, not a stifling way. I have also always been so afraid of the actual birthing process. I like to know exactly what I am getting into before I jump into situations, and no one can prepare you for this. But I am slowly giving up my fears and embracing the possibility that one day I will be a mom and mike will be a dad. It sounds crazy just typing it :).

But I have a few questions for you mama's out there: Does the itch go away or does it just get more and more intense? Should I make a plan, like we are going to start trying next year? How do you not let the itch consume you? These are the thoughts swimming through my head.

14 comments:

carahinojosa said...

Even though we have 4 and are done having kids I will always be itchy :)...and none of ours were planned, but all are blessings--even on their worst of days.

Anonymous said...

haha, the itch eh? i knew it, our conversation the other day had a hint of the itch in it...

adorable you are!

Alex & Tonya said...

Haha....I just told Alex THIS morning "I think I have a temporary baby itch." I definately still think we need some time, but I have a feeling the itch will start coming more and more often. Kind of like when you know you are starting to be ready to be engaged. Eventually it jsut overpowers you.

At least we can go through our itches together. (starting to sound like we have a rash or something) :)

Coffman Family said...

I smiled as I read this! That's how it started for me, and it just grew stronger and stronger. Serving in Kids Crossing just intensified it! My thought - talk about it. When I first told Phil I thought I was ready, just to see his face light up was confirmation that God was guiding this whole process. Phil's excitement and assurance overpowered any fears I had as we started trying.

Bri Westbury said...

I hope I don't get you and Tonya's rash just yet! =/

Julie said...

I have had "the itch" so many times- it'll last for a few weeks & then dies completely. Maybe it's that cream the doctor gave me. he he he

No really, I constantly go back & forth. I am totally NOT ready right now, but one trip through the baby clothes at Target & I've got the itch again.

Fickle I am!

Steph said...

You funny! When I was 24, that Fall I got a huge wave of baby fever, but it did subside a bit until the Spring and it was not to be ignored...that's when we started tryin' for baby numero uno.

The thing is, you can never be ready, but it's more that you're not ready for how amazing it is, rather than how hard it is. You'll be a great mamma and you know I'll fill you in on what's comin'! :)

Christy said...

Oh My Goodness...I can't believe what I am hearing, but I love it!

crystal said...

Cat! I love it! I am having some of the same "symptoms." I also find myself cooing over other peoples babies, and the urge to hold any small person in sight, two baby outfits in my drawer,and spending countless hours on the internet not looking for the perfect nursery, but for maternity clothes! ah! i'm even with you on the birth thing. the whole process sounds scary, especially after witnessing many births last year in school....the only time that i thought nursing school before babies was a bad idea! it really scared me then! i have had some off and on itches before, but lately i've had one that won't go away!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the sweet Birthday wishes!! Can't wait to see you on Sunday either!!

Erin said...

Well, good for you! I will say that I'm not one who is a big believer in having the baby "plan". I say pray about it, and if you and Mike are of one mind about wanting a baby, then go for it. Babies are always blessings, and I think too many American Christians try way too hard to control their family size, timing, etc. (says the girl who is about to have 3 in one year, so feel free to laugh me out of the house!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Catherine for the feel better comment on our blog today!

Girlie movies are the best and make time go by fast!

Love,
G

Sheridan said...

I definitely get the itch sometimes. It's hard because Chris and I want to trust God completely in His timing (which isn't always ours, and we always seem to be a step ahead of others our age), but we also want to make wise choices about finances and stuff. Especially since we know I'm staying home when we start our family, and he's in the ministry. Do you ever wonder about that?

We think of you both often!

kelly said...

i don't think the itch every goes away. but as others have said already, it can come & go & be more intense at times. it's kinda fun like this.